1120 N Street, MS-52
Sacramento, CA 95814
Fax: (916) 653-2134
Send comments or questions to the CTC Web Master
Public Records Requests Written Guidelines for Accessibility of Public Records
Traffic Congestion Relief Program
The Traffic Congestion Relief Act of 2000 (AB 2928 and SB 1662) created the TCRP; the Traffic Congestion Relief Fund (TCRF); and committed $4.909 billion to 141 specific projects designated in law. The $4.909 billion in revenues for the TCRP included:
- $1.595 billion to the TCRF in 2000-01 from a General Fund transfer and directly from gasoline sales tax revenues.
- $3.314 billion in transfers to the TCRF from the Transportation Investment Fund (TIF) over five years, the transfers were to be $678 million per year for the first four years and the balance of $602 million in the fifth year.
AB 438 (Statutes of 2001) delayed the five-year schedule for the TIF transfers by two years, from the original 2001-02 through 2005-06, to 2003-04 through 2007-08. AB 438 also authorized a series of loans to the General Fund, including a $482 million loan from the TCRF. The Governor proposed to repay the loan with tribal gaming revenues. Assembly Bill 133, approved in March 2016, authorized $148 million partial repayment from the General Fund by January 2017. The remaining $334 million owed to the TCRF has no specified repayment schedule.
Proposition 42 (2002) transfers were partially suspended in 2003-04 ($389 million) and fully suspended in 2004-05 ($678 million), with just enough transferred to reimburse prior TCRP allocations. A total of $1.067 billion in Proposition 42 transfers was suspended and loaned to the General Fund. After a $323 million repayment in 2006-07 the loan balance was $744 million.
Proposition 1A (November 2006) addressed the Proposition 42 suspensions occurring on or before July 1, 2007, and requires that the balance be repaid no later than June 30, 2016. The $744 million balance is being repaid in nine equal installments of $82.7 million per year through 2015-16.
- TCRP Policy for Tier 2 Projects
- TCRP Guidelines - Resolution G-06-04
- TCRP Statutes
- Tribal Compact Assets for TCRP
- TCRP 2015 Annual Report
- TCRP 2014 Annual Report
- TCRP Status (November 26, 2004)
- For more information, please go to the Department of Transportation - Office of Capital Improvement Programming